- Watch a video on how to play.
- Learn the rules.
- Read the literature (rulebook seems a little too simplistic here).
- Watch the video again.
- Play the game.
- Play it wrong.
- Disagree about how it’s played.
- Look up the specific rules.
- Respectfully resolve the disagreement and move on.
- Learn it with a friend so they can point out something you might be missing.
- Play it with a friend so you can correct them when they’re doing it wrong.
- Win or lose.
- Play again.
- Try a new strategy.
Learning most things will follow a similar pattern, we can substitute ‘game’ for ‘skill’.
We benefit from having a teacher and a peer.
A complete understanding of how the game is played will take us far.
Repetition and resilience will help us improve.
And losing isn’t the end.
Neither is winning.